June 12, 2010

Sweating our way through the Sawtooths

I started out my summer by running the Sawtooth Relay from Stanley to Ketchum, Idaho - 6 people on a team, 12 legs, 61.9 miles. Have you never ran a relay? Me neither! But, now I highly recommend it. It was SO much fun!! The team themes and costumes (uniforms) were so hilarious, creative, and FUN! Our all female team was called the Six Sweaty Chicks, and sweat we did. My friend Jill asked me to do it one day, it got me all pumped and I was so flattered she asked me. I hurried and signed up and paid my money before I could change my mind. I'm so glad I signed up. Seriously!

Jill was the only one of the six I knew real well, but I had such a blast with the five other ladies over the 30 hours I spent with them in the van, eating dinner the night before, in the hotel room giggling all night long prior to having to wake at 3:15 am, then in the van while one of the girls was running each leg, then screaming and shouting for our teammates at each leg exchange station, then more van rides, LAUGHING, listening to the Glee Soundtrack (so good!), then crossing the finish line together, then having some great food and time to relax in Ketchum. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what fun!

I think the relay was just about perfect mainly due to the blue skies and 60 degree temps we lucked out with. Oh, and what about the view?!?!! Look at how pretty the background in all the pictures is. How can you not enjoy running through these mountains? Again, I HIGHLY recommend this relay to anyone. I hope I am asked to be on a team again, or will form a team, or run it solo...uh, yeah right - kidding (but people do that ya know? they are clearly crazy!?!)!

Night before

Designs by Deb and Rachel - they sure did Good!!


Headlamps and reflective vests required before 6:00 am ladies!
Jill rocked it

Deb rocked it

It was just a tiny bit cold that morning. waiting at exchange 3 site

Rachel is HILARIOUS! Sporting our sweet uniforms

Run Camille Run, hurry!

Patiently waiting to start my last 6 mile run of the day

Rachel says, "Ok, Camille you can go now. I'm done, nanner nanner!"

Uh, which way do I run? Towards Ketchum? Ok.

Such a fun group of ladies (minus 2)...

So the one of the best parts of this whole race was Linda, our oldest team member, volunteered to run the HARDEST leg (elevation gain 1,331 feet, no big deal) - straight up Galena Summit (elevation 8,701 feet). Don't feel bad for Linda, she was assigned this leg because she runs a marathon like every other day and is a running machine! She was passing people left and right and had a smile on her face the whole time. You rock Linda!

We just took pictures of the view while Linda ran the hard leg. Don't worry, we asked her along the way if she wanted any water or food! ( :


Jill explaining to me how good it feels to be done for the day. She is not regretting being our starting runner at this point because you get to be the first one done!

Last exchange

Six Sweaty Chicks at the finish line in Ketchum...Linda, Jill, Camille, Deb, Miriam, Rachel. We started the relay at 4:30 that morning. What a long day!

The two legs I drew (yes, we drew our legs to try to be fair) were pretty darn easy (compared to everyone else) so I tried to run as fast as I could -I ran a total of 10.56 miles. It felt good! Our AMaZing team finished in 9 hrs 45 min 14 sec and came in 25th out of 68 teams in the Womens category! Can I get a woot woot for these fine ladies! Thanks for the opportunity and memories.

1 comment:

Steph said...

That's awesome!! What an amazing accomplishment! Yep, now I know to blog stalk you :)

View from our room

View from our room

Cool outdoor cafe/bar on beach in CR

Cool outdoor cafe/bar on beach in CR

Langosta Beach, CR

Langosta Beach, CR


Zip Lining...mucho fun!

Zip Lining...mucho fun!


The Parque Nacional Santa Rosa

The Parque Nacional Santa Rosa

Preserve of Monteverde & Santa Elena Reserve

Preserve of Monteverde  & Santa Elena Reserve

Iguanas and lizards everywhere

Iguanas and lizards everywhere


Howler monkeys

Howler monkeys




Off road 4X4 tour, only used machete for pics

Off road 4X4 tour, only used machete for pics

Playa Grande, Leatherback Turtle nesting

Playa Grande, Leatherback Turtle nesting