June 22, 2009

Grandpa Reid

Virgil Reid Harris 9/7/1930 - 6/21/2009


My Grandpa (my Mom's Dad) passed away yesterday and we are going to miss him dearly. I am thankful we were told he died in his sleep and there didn't seem to be any struggle so we believe he passed peacefully, which I think is the way to go. I thought I'd post something about him while I'm getting some pictures together for my Mom.

Grandpa was a funny character and everyone loved him. He loved to talk to everyone, even complete strangers he just met, about his years in the Navy and working as a truck driver for P.I.E. for over 30 years. You've all seen his Gold retirement watch. : ) I didn't know Grandpa all that well growing up. He lived in Oklahoma and we didn't see him very often. But, I remember him visiting one year, pulling up to our house in his BIG, LOOOONG, baby blue Cadillac with his cowboy hat on. He seemed like a true Okie to me. He was funny, but also seemed like a mean ole' guy. He was a jokester and kept trying to pinch my Mom's toes with pliers and then laughing during that visit. Ouch!! Grandpa, be nice!!

About 15 years ago (give or take a few years?) I got to know Grandpa a little better. His trucking diet (bacon and eggs for breakfast everyday) and drinking finally caught up to him and he had a stroke. My Mom and her siblings moved him back to Idaho so my Mom could take care of him, and so he could be closer to his family. My Mom has been an amazing caretaker and rock for my Grandpa over the years. Grandpa was a great guy and I'm thankful for the years I got to spend with him, and most recently thankful he got to meet my Carter boy. We got some great pictures with the two of them.

We will miss you Grandpa Reid. We love you very much.

No comments:

View from our room

View from our room

Cool outdoor cafe/bar on beach in CR

Cool outdoor cafe/bar on beach in CR

Langosta Beach, CR

Langosta Beach, CR


Zip Lining...mucho fun!

Zip Lining...mucho fun!


The Parque Nacional Santa Rosa

The Parque Nacional Santa Rosa

Preserve of Monteverde & Santa Elena Reserve

Preserve of Monteverde  & Santa Elena Reserve

Iguanas and lizards everywhere

Iguanas and lizards everywhere


Howler monkeys

Howler monkeys




Off road 4X4 tour, only used machete for pics

Off road 4X4 tour, only used machete for pics

Playa Grande, Leatherback Turtle nesting

Playa Grande, Leatherback Turtle nesting